The poem above is work generated by the Conservation Montgomery Young Environmental Writers (YEW) Workshop. We will publish various forms of environmental writing by local high school students who participated in this project funded by a grant from the Ohio-based Green Shanny Foundation. Read more about the YEW project in our latest e-newsletter.
A Light through Those Leaves
By Yanci Cueva
I don't want to hear a phone ringing
I just want to hear the birds tweeting.
There is a place that brings me calm
There is a place where a stream goes down.
The sound of the frogs singing and splashing
Can be heard from the end of a foggy trail
Where the view is wonderful and fantastic.
White rocks and lichen. Moss covered trees,
To witness this wonder is what a human needs.
Conifers and pine trees, swinging with the wind,
Make me feel delighted, make me feel the breeze.
The creatures hide from us
Raccoons, squirrels, and deer
They might think we don’t know
But the sounds they make we can hear.
Some trees have fallen, mostly the oldest
Oh, how much I love the deciduous forest.
It starts to rain, and I sit on a rock
Then I see the creek that is coming from the north.
As I cross the bridge I see many fish on the water,
These are swimming happily, like if nothing really matters.
Oh what a shrine I have found!
A divine silence clean, and a clean water from the ground.
I love the song I am hearing. It’s the spring I’m seeing.
It comes from the roots of a tree
If you ask for a wish, it would give you three.
Finally, the cloudy sky disappears,
And I want to climb the highest tree.
I feel the warm sunlight coming through the leaves
No more rain falls. This is such a gift.
Anyways, I don’t want to go home tonight
I just want to keep seeing the light.
Click on each event link below. Check later for details if there is no link behind an event title.
- July 26, ANS Summer Wildflower Walk, 8:30 a.m. in Boyds, MD
- July 26, Invasive Plant Removal, 8 a.m. in Silver Spring
- July 26, Grow it, eat it Open House, 8:30 a.m., Derwood, MD
- July 26, Finding Insects in Sligo Creek, 10 a.m.
- July 30, ANS Summer Shuffle Along the Canal, 9 a.m. , Potomac
- Aug. 2, Canoe/kayak Adventure, 9 a.m., Potomac
- Aug. 3, Kickoff for Friends of Ten Mile Creek
- Aug. 8, Rock Creek Park Invasive Plant Removal, 9 a.m.
- Aug. 17, Rock Creek Park half day hike, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 23, Weed Warriors, Northwest Branch, 10 a.m.
- Aug. 30, Friends of Sligo Creek invasives removal, 8 a.m.
- Sept. 8, MCCF Monthly Meeting, 7:30 p.m., Rockville
- Sept. 20, Breezy Trail Ride, Boyds, MD. 10 a.m.
- Sept. 27, Weed Warriors, Northwest Branch, 10 a.m.
- Sept. 28-28, Sweep the Creek with Friends of Sligo Creek
- Nov. 1, Conservation Montgomery Big Tree Tour in the Down County, 9:30 a.m.
- Nov. 7, Conservation Montomery Annual Meeting, 6 p.m. Make a reservation today. Space is limited.
- Nov. 13, Hives in the City at ANS, 7 p.m.
- Nov. 29, Invasive Plant Removal, 8 a.m.
- Council Expedited Bill 2524 to amend the FCL
- Council Bill 7-14 on Certified Green Business Program
- Council Bill 3-14 on energy efficiency standards for buildings
- In the works: Councilmember Leventhal will introduce a bill on pesticides.
Check with your County Councilmember's office or with your State legislators on issues of interest.
Click on to each name below to visit the websites of our member organizations or corporate affiliates.
- Audubon Naturalist Society
- Bethesda Green
- Casey Trees
- Choose Clean Water Coalition
- Equestrian Partners in Conservation
- Friends of Sligo Creek
- Granito de Arena
- Greater Sandy Spring Green Space
- Hiking Along
- Little Falls Watershed Alliance
- Montgomery Bicycle Advocates (MoBike)
- Montgomery County Civic Federation
- Montgomery Countryside Alliance
- Montgomery County Parks Foundation
- Muddy Branch Alliance
- My Green Montgomery
- Neighbors of the Northwest Branch
- Potomac Conservancy
- Rock Creek Conservancy
- Safe Grow Montgomery
- Seven Oaks-Evanswood Citizens' Association
- Silver Spring Green
- Up County Action
- Washington Women Outdoors
- West Montgomery County Citizens Association
- Woodrock Homeowners Association